November is the time to get your tools serviced and lawn prepared and protected for winter. Check off this list to see how you’re doing:
- Service your lawn mower. Clean and oil your lawnmower and other garden equipment and tools and store them away for winter.
- Check the potatoes in storage and remove any that’s going bad.
- Protect your berry shrubs and perennial flowerbeds by placing mulch around.
- Use composted manure and straw to cover up rhubarb and asparagus beds.
- Rake and compost leaves.
- Protect built-in sprinkler systems by draining the system and insulating the valve mechanisms. Drain and store hoses away to prevent freezing and damage.
- Tie up the limbs of upright evergreens to avoid snow or ice from breaking them.
- After blooming, trim chrysanthemums to 4 to 6 inches.
- Keep ornamental grasses up in winter to provide texture in the landscape.