Here are some winter gardening maintenance tips.
For those living in western Oregon:
- Avoid walking on lawns until frost has melted
- Water landscape plants in protected areas throughout the winter
- Watch for wet soil and drainage issues during heavy rains
For those in central/eastern Oregon:
- Give your plants a deep soaking every six and eight weeks to prevent them from drying out
- Prevent your young trees that have thin bark from sunscalding by wrapping the trunks with tree wrap. Once the bark has thickened, about two to three years, you can skip this step.