Rose Color Meanings
Did you know that each rose color has a different meaning? Whether you choose the romantic red rose or the innocent white, roses have been well-received by people worldwide.
- Red Roses: Red roses are a traditional symbol of love and romance, beauty and perfection. When you want to say “I love you”, red roses is the classic rose for the occasion.
- White Rose: Often associated with weddings, white roses signify new beginnings, purity, innocence, virtue and loyalty.
- Pink Rose: If you want to convey meanings of gratitude or admiration, pink roses are the way to go. They also represent elegance and grace.
- Yellow Rose: With their bright, sunny color, yellow roses symbolize friendship, warmth and joy. If you want to show appreciation without implications of romance, yellow roses are an excellent choice.
- Orange Rose: The exciting colors of orange roses symbolizes enthusiasm, creativity and passion.
Caring for your Roses
- During the summer months, you should water your roses regularly. If there is no rain, you should water them every few days.
- Wet leaves encourages diseases so avoid watering them with overhead sprinklers, and instead opt to water them at ground level.
- Watering them in the morning also helps prevent diseases.
- Roses thrive on water, but too much will drown them. The best condition is to have rich, loose soil with good drainage.
- Put a two to four inch layer of mulch at the base of your roses to conserve water, decrease stress and promote growth.
- Fertilize your roses before and during the blooming cycle.
- Stop feeding them about six weeks before the first frost, around mid-August. You may continue watering them in the dry autumn weather to strengthen them for the winter months.
- Prune your roses every spring to rid of diseased or old parts. You should not prune them in the autumn. If necessary, cut off any dead canes.
- Don’t forget to wear elbow-length gloves to protect from thorns.
- Remove dead flower heads frequently and keep the beds clean. This encourages new growth and prevents diseases.